What Is Medical Payments Coverage? What Does It Cover?
What Is Medical Payments Coverage?
Medical payments coverage is part of an auto insurance policy. It helps you pay medical expenses of yourself and your passengers if you are injured in a car accident, regardless of who caused the accident. This coverage is optional and not available in all states.
Medical payments coverage is sometimes called medical coverage, or simply “med pay.”
How Much Medical Payments Coverage Should You Have?
Many states don’t require it, and if you have health insurance through your employer, you may wonder whether adding medical coverage to your auto policy payments is worth the cost.
If you are considering this coverage, please note that – unlike health insurance – there are no deductibles or copayments with medical payments coverage. Payment begins with the first dollar of costs incurred and paid regardless of who is responsible for the accident.
Another excellent reason to have medical payments coverage – even if you already have health insurance – is that it is relatively inexpensive. We can’t say how much medical payments coverage will cost until you look at your specific circumstances, but many policyholders find that you can add coverage for $ 5 to $ 8 per month. The cost goes up with higher coverage limits, of course.
What does medical insurance cover?
If you are injured in a car accident, medical payments coverage can help pay the following expenses for you or your passengers:
- Health insurance deductibles and copayments
- Doctor or hospital visits
- Surgery, X-rays or prosthetic devices
- Ambulances and emergency medical technician fees
- Professional nursing services
About The InsuranceXR
The InsuranceXR is not an insurance company. We’re an independent company on a mission to help you compare all of your insurance options closely, so you can make a truly informed decision. Following are our unique features which make us proud:
- We help you compare quotes from all the major car insurance companies within minutes over a phone call. We provide you all the information from insurers and intend to help and educate you so that you make informed decisions before buying and deciding to spend your hard-earned money.
- We’re independent and have no stake in any insurance company you choose; Our intent is to simply offer you unbiased, quick & easier comparisons on your insurance options.